Dr. Lucienne Carasso Bulow
2000 to date
: Interactive Dispute Resolution Services/Interactive Maritime Services
Full-time arbitrator/mediator and claims consultant specializing in international maritime and international commercial disputes.
2000 to date
: Board Of Commissioners Of Pilots Of The State Of New York
Serving on Commission overseeing the Licensing and Selection of Harbor Pilots (Sandy Hook, Hudson River, Long Island Sound)
1997 - 2001
: Society Of Maritime Arbitrators, Inc.
Elected by peers as first woman officer. Led and implemented reforms of arbitration rules and adoption of mediation rules. Wrote numerous articles explaining and marketing maritime arbitration in New York to various audiences worldwide.
1981 - 2001
: Continental Grain Company, New York, NY
Vice President - Arbitration
Responsible for over 500 maritime and commodity claims and arbitrations for Continental Grain Company and its affiliated companies. Consultant from 2000 to 2001.
1973 - 1981
: Bunge Corporation, New York, NY
Manager, Maritime Claims
Responsible for maritime claims and arbitrations. Handled insurance claims under Charterers' Liability Policy. Supervised section which computed laytime calculations and voyage estimates on time charters. Operated ships.
1963 - 1973
While attending undergraduate and graduate schools, worked at United Sea Transport, 1963 - 1973
a ship agency and brokerage firm where gained wide exposure to the chartering
of vessels and to many of the problems which arise from it.
1971 - 1973
: York College Of The City University Of New York and Stern College Of Yeshiva University
Instructor in French Literature (Dual Appointments)
- 2014 to date — Panel Member — Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration (SCMA)
- 2014 to date — Member — Energy Arbitrators List (EAL) — ICDR
- 2003 to date - Member, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Arbitration Panel.
- 1999 — 2002 Chairman and Member, Arbitration Committee - American Fats and Oils Association
- 1998 to date Member, Panel of Neutrals - International Centre for Dispute Resolution of American Arbitration Association (ICDR).
- 1997 — Member, Arbitration Panel - NAEGA - North American Export Grain Association.
- 1992 - Member of the Arbitration Panels of FINRA Dispute Resolution
- 1987 to date - Supporting Member of the London Maritime Arbitration Association.
- 1981 to date - Non-Lawyer Member of the Maritime Law Association (MLA).
- 1979 to date - Member of The Society of Maritime Arbitrators, Inc. (SMA)
M.Ph and Ph.D., French Literature, Yale University, 1970; 1974
CIArb Diploma in International Arbitration — Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2016
Has served as party-appointed and chairman in hundreds of arbitrations as a member of numerous organizations: the Society of Maritime Arbitrators, Inc. (SMA); International Centre for Dispute Resolution of the American Arbitration Association; the North American Export Grain Association; the Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Has heard maritime and commercial cases of all charter party and contract types including demurrage disputes, safe berth/safe port, cargo contamination, shortage, damage claims, cancellation of contracts, overlap/underlap; damages, terminal operations, ship construction and repair, yacht/catamaran construction, terminal construction and repair, energy, offshore, commodities disputes, salvage, navigation disputes, transatlantic cables, supply vessels, offshore, terminal construction, etc. as well as disputes involving energy, telecommunications, employment, securities, disputes under service contracts, containers; personal injury. Has also arbitrated cases involving telecommunications, modems, satellite transponders and infrastructure project disputes.
Has mediated several cases involving sales contracts of major oil companies, service contracts, delay to vessels and containers as well as contracts involving iron ore concentrate mining and supply of minerals.
As claims handler and vice president of arbitration for two major commodity trading firms,
- Handled hundreds of maritime and commercial disputes and arbitrations in London before members of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association and in New York before members of the Society of Maritime Arbitrators, Inc.
- Argued case in oral hearing before London arbitrators under English law and bested solicitors and barristers.
- Negotiated settlements and participated in mediation as a party.
- Handled commodity disputes in the U.S. under the rules of the North American Export Grain Association (NAEGA) before the American Arbitration Association (AAA), under the rules of the National Grain and Feed Association (NGFA) as well as under the rules of the U.S. Rice Millers Association. Also handled commodity disputes in London under Grain and Feed Trade Association (GAFTA), Fats, Oils, Seeds and Feed Association (FOSFA), and ANEC Contracts under sales contracts.
As Commissioner of Pilots, has acted as hearing officer in investigating marine accidents; has also reviewed and evaluated many pilots' examinations and nautical charts.
French, Italian, Spanish, some Portuguese, some Arabic
- CIArb NY Branch Accelerated Route to Fellowship, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 3-day course, 2016
- E-Discovery: Arbitration in a Digital World, AAA Education Services Conference, 2016
- ICC Conference in Spanish: ICC PANARB 2016 — La Perspectiva del Arbitro, Como Hacer Frente a Dificultades? Decision Sobre Costos en el Arbitraje Internacional, 2016.
- Arbitrator Subpoenaes: Are They Worth the Paper They're Printed on? AAA Arbitrators Seminar, 2015
- AAA Developments in Arbitration Law-Non Signatories, Discovery and Vacatur, 2014.
- Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics — AAA University, 2015
- 31st AAA—ICDR/ICC/ICSID Annual Joint Colloquium on International Arbitration, 2014
- Capital Link 6th Annual Global Commodities, Energy & Freight Forum, 2014
- Confronting Arbitrability and Jurisdiction in Arbitration — AAA University, 2013
- Fall Meeting of MLA and 18th Congress of the Instituto Iberoamericano de Derecho Maritimo, November 2013
- Capital Link 5th Annual Global Commodities, Energy & Freight Forum, 2013
- ICC International Court of Arbitration, Training on the 2012 ICC Rules of Arbitration, Paris 2012
- Advanced Mediator Training Series: Managing the Dynamics of a Multi-Party Case, AAA University
- Maximizing Efficiency and Economy in Arbitration — American Arbitration Association, 2012
- 28th AAA-ICDR/ICC/ICSID Joint Colloquium on International Arbitration, 2011
- Fourth Annual ICC International Court of Arbitration — Conference on ICC Arbitral Awards, 2009
- ICDR Latin America and European Union ADR Roundtable, 2007
- ICDR International Arbitration Symposia in Advanced Case Management Issues, 2007
- Second Annual ICC International Court of Arbitration — Conference on Arbitrator Independence, 2007
- 22nd Joint Colloquium on International Arbitration - International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) of the American Arbitration Association, the ICC International Court of Arbitration and International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), 2005
- AAA Neutrals Conference, Philadelphia, 2005: Best Practices for Arbitrating Large, Complex Cases;
Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process and Dynamics.
- ICC International Dispute Resolution — ICC International Court of Arbitration — September 19-21, 2004
- AAA International Arbitration Symposium in Advanced Case Management Issues, 2004
- Second Annual Miami International Conference on South America — ICC, ICSID and AAA, 2004
- 19th Joint Colloquium on International Arbitration - International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) of the American Arbitration Association, International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the ICC International Court of Arbitration, 2002
- Advanced Training - International Centre for Dispute Resolution of American Arbitration Association, 1999
- Mediation Training (3-day course), National Institute for Mediation and Training, 1998
- Chairperson Training, National Association of Securities Dealers, 1995
- Trade Education, The Grain and Feed Trade Association, Churchill College, Cambridge University, 1993
- Mediation Training (1-day course), Maritime Law Association (MLA), 1991
- Arbitration Training, New York Stock Exchange, 1990
- Advanced Arbitration Training, American Arbitration Association, 1987
- Arbitration Training, American Arbitration Association, 1983
- Hull and P&I Insurance, World Trade Institute, 1981
- Self-study Course in Ship Stability given by the National Cargo Bureau, Inc., 1977
- Maritime Arbitration Workshop given by the Society of Maritime Arbitrators, New York, 1974
- Maritime Law, World Trade Institute, 1974
- Chartering and Brokerage, World Trade Institute, 1973
- "Time and Expense in New York Maritime Arbitration." Papers of the XIVth International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators, Vancouver, 2012.
- "Consolidation in New York Maritime Arbitration." Papers of the XIIIth International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators, Hamburg, 2009.
- "The Management of Arbitrations: Some Problems encountered by New York Panels" written with Michael van Gelder. Papers of the XVIth International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators, Singapore, 2007.
- "Charter Party Consequences of Maritime Security Initiatives: Potential Disputes and Responsive Clauses."
Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, Vol. 37, No. 1, January 2006.
- "New York Arbitration under the Rules of the Society of Maritime Arbitrators." The Journal of The
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Vol. 65, No. 3, August 1999.
- "A User's Experience of London and New York Arbitration." European Transport Law Journal, Vol. XXXIII, No. 3, 1998.
- "The Revised Arbitration Rules of the Society of Maritime Arbitrators." Journal of International Arbitration, Vol. 12, No. 1, March 1995.
- "Ethics and the Arbitrator." Papers of the Xth International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators, Vancouver, 1991.
- "Dangerous Cargoes:The Responsibilities and Liabilities of the Various Parties." Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly, August 1989.
- "Consequential Damages and the Duty to Mitigate in New York Maritime Arbitrations." Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly, November 1984.
- "Speed and Consumption Claims from the Viewpoint of the Disputants." Papers of the Vth International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators, New York, 1981.
- The "Merveilleux" in Chrétien de Troyes' Romances. Librairie Droz, Geneva, 1976.
- "The Influence of Belinsky on Dostoyevsky". Hunter College Studies, 4, 1968.